Plan of Study

The plan of study is the list of courses that you plan to take for the individualized major. Since the individualized major is interdisciplinary, your plan should include courses from at least two, preferably three or more, academic disciplines. It is important to construct the plan around a theme, so that the courses relate to one another and create a unified whole. When choosing a theme, keep in mind your long-term academic and professional goals; you will find the individualized major much more rewarding if it aligns with your core values and interests. Once you have chosen a theme, then you can search the catalog for courses that support it.

There are a few specific requirements that you need to meet when constructing a plan. It must consist of at least 36 credits of 2000-level or higher courses, 18 of which must be from the college granting your degree, and it must include the following:

  • Research Methods Course. A research methods course will introduce you to how knowledge is produced and evaluated in a particular discipline. Choose one from an academic department that is integral to your major. Some examples include: COMM 3000Q Research Methods in Communication, SOCI 3201 Methods of Social Research, PSYC 2100WQ Principles of Research in Psychology, or ARE 2150 Intermediate Applied and Resource Economics.
  • Capstone. The three capstone options are: UNIV 4600W Capstone Course, UNIV 4697W Senior Thesis, or an approved alternative. Note: Honors students completing Honors Scholar requirements in their IMJR must complete the thesis.
  • Writing Intensive Course. A writing intensive course that is relevant to the major theme. This will normally be designated “W” in the course catalog and is in addition to the capstone. For majors based in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources, the W course must be from a department in CAHNR.

We also strongly recommend that you include an experiential learning component, such as an internship, research, or study abroad, in your plan of study.

Guidelines for the inclusion of Business, Sport Management, and Journalism courses

If you plan to include courses from Business, Sport Management or Journalism, please see the relevant guidelines below:

Bachelor of Science

If you intend to complete a Bachelor of Science IMJR in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, you must include 24 credits of science courses in your individualized major plan of study and fulfill the CLAS general education requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree.

Transfer Credits

You may include transfer credits in your plan of study in accordance with the following guidelines.

  • CLAS plans of study: Up to 9 credits of transfer coursework. Students seeking the inclusion of transfer credit in their major that is not equivalent to a specific UConn course (generic transfer credit) must provide (1) a transcript from the previous institution and (2) course descriptions for the courses they wish to include. Such generic transfer credit will be reviewed for inclusion in the major when the student is admitted to the Program. If the inclusion of generic transfer credit is sought after the student has already been admitted to the program, the student must seek approval from his/her faculty advisors and the IISP office.
  • CAHNR plans of study: Up to 6 credits of transfer coursework that is the equivalent to UConn courses as stated in the catalog. If appropriate, the Program may seek exemptions from the CAHNR Dean’s office for generic transfer credit.

Double Major

If you have an existing major and would like to add an individualized major in the same school or college (a double major), you will need to prepare the following for your application:

  • A Double Major Declaration Form.
  • For CLAS majors: a Double Major Worksheet.

These are available on our forms page.

Additional Degree

If you have an existing major and would like to add an individualized major in a different school or college, you must opt for an additional degree and you must meet all of the requirements for both degrees. Additional degrees require at least 30 degree credits more than the degree with the higher minimum-credit requirement. Thus for an IMJR that is in addition to an engineering degree, for example, you would need a total of 158 credits to graduate (128 for the engineering degree, plus the extra 30 for the additional degree). The extra 30 credits must be 2000-level courses or higher in the additional degree major or closely related fields.

If you are planning an additional degree you will need to prepare the following for your application: