Course Registration for Individualized Majors

You will be registering for courses in a variety of departments and schools or colleges within the University, so it is important to understand their registration policies. Always remember that you are responsible for registering for your courses.

Two or three weeks before course registration begins (early October and March) we will ask you to provide a list of courses in your plan of study that you wish to register for in the coming semester. We share this information with select departments which refer to these lists when responding to requests for permission numbers. Please respond to this email in a timely manner.

General Advice

Try registering via the Student Admin system. Use Dynamic Class Search to see if seats are available and to check if remaining seats are reserved for majors. Be sure you have met the course’s prerequisites. If you have not met the prerequisites, the Student Admin system will block your registration. IMJRs are not excused from prerequisites!

When a course is full, some departments use the wait list system in Student Admin. If a wait list exists, be sure to put yourself on it. See the  Registrar’s website for more information.

If all the remaining seats are reserved, you need to request a permission number. You should be prepared to state your case politely and coherently to the correct person. Some departments handle permission number requests centrally, others leave it to individual instructors, and some have specific procedures for IMJRs. Check below for specific departmental protocols. If permission numbers are issued by the instructor, it may be more effective to meet with him/her in person than to send an email.

If you have been unable to enroll in your preferred course, be sure to enroll in a relevant alternative. In addition, attend the first several classes of your preferred course and speak with the instructor; many students alter their schedules in the first week of classes and a seat may become available.

How to Obtain Permission Numbers

Allied Health

  • If there are no unreserved seats available, use the Allied Health permission request form.
  • Be sure to respond to our email about course registration, indicating for which courses you intend to register. Allied Health will use the list we share with them to confirm that you are an individualized major with the course in your plan of study before issuing any permission numbers.


  • Be sure to respond to our email about course registration. In your reply you may list a maximum of two Business School courses (BADM courses or courses specified for one of the business minors, for example HCMI courses) of which ONE may be BADM 3750 or a course for which BADM 3750 is the prerequisite (a course in marketing); the School of Business will then enroll you in these courses before the start of registration.
  • Info Sheet: BADM Courses


  • Try to register via the Student Admin system
  • If all unreserved seats have been filled, please use the wait list in Student Admin.
  • The Communication Department will begin issuing permission numbers after the last enrollment appointment and will continue until the 10th day of classes. You will only receive an e-mail if you are next on the list and are being given a seat.
  • You will only be eligible for consideration for a permission number under this system if you have the relevant COMM course on your approved plan of study and have notified the IMJR Program Office of your intention to register for the course.


  • Try to register via the Student Admin system.
  • If all unreserved seats are full, please use the wait list in Student Admin and contact the Undergraduate Advisor, Lauren Munyard ( to request a permission number.

Sport Management- EDLR

  • Sport Management (EDLR) classes are generally reserved for sport management majors, therefore you will need to obtain a permission number.
  • Contact the instructor to request a permission number. Please explain that you are an individualized major. See EDLR Courses on inclusion of Sport Management courses in an IMJR.


  • If you would like to enroll in PSYC 2100WQ or one of the lab courses, you will need to fill out the permission numbers form on the Psychology website (You must have notified the IMJR Program of your intention to register for this course to be considered for a permission number.)
  • For all other courses in psychology, try to register via the Student Admin system. If no seats are available, then you should contact the instructor.


  • Try to register via the Student Admin system.
  • For SOCI 3201 and 3211Q, if all remaining seats are reserved, add your name to the waitlist and contact Ms. Kathy Covey ( to request a permission number. Please provide the course number and the section number. Explain that you are an individualized major and specify your graduation date.

Capstone Course or Thesis

  • To register for UNIV 4600W Capstone Course, email Michael Cunningham ( to request a permission number.
  • To register for UNIV 4697W, you must use the “Student Enrollment Request” form on Registrar’s website. This is an online form.
    • On this form, you will need to indicate that you are adding a new course, an independent study.
    • For instructor, fill in the name of your thesis supervisor.
    • For advisor, fill in either your primary faculty advisor or the IMJR director (Kenneth Cormier).
    • When this form routes to your thesis supervisor for their approval, they will be asked to fill in the department head. They should list the IMJR director (Kenneth Cormier) as department head since he serves as department head for UNIV 4697W. They should not fill in their own department head. Please be sure to email your thesis supervisor separately to let them know that they must fill in Kenneth Cormier as department head.
    • Please remember that we must have your Thesis Proposal Form on file before we will approve enrollment in UNIV 4697W.