This minor focuses on western, central, and eastern Europe as well as Russia and enables you to pursue an interest in the social, historical, political, and cultural dimensions of this region. A European Studies minor combines coursework from a variety of disciplines with either a period of study abroad, coursework in a European language other than English, or an international internship.
You should select the courses in the minor in close consultation with a European studies minor advisor.
- You must complete a minimum of 15 credits of coursework at the 2000-level or higher from the List of Courses.
- Courses must be drawn from at least three different departments. Note that CAMS, CLCS, FREN, GERM, ILCS, and SPAN are all part of a single department: the Literatures, Cultures, and Languages Department.
- We strongly recommend that you take HIST 2402 Europe in the Twentieth Century.
- Study abroad courses, special topics courses, and variable topics courses may count towards the minor when these focus on Europe or Russia. Inclusion of such courses will require a syllabus review.
- Three credits of independent study may be included when the independent study is focused on Europe or Russia.
Tools and Experience Requirement
In addition to completing the required coursework, you must meet one of four tools and experience requirements:
- Participation in an approved study abroad program that includes at least six weeks residence in Europe or Russia.
- Completion of six credits of coursework at any level in a European language other than English.
- Completion of an internship (with or without pay) of at least six weeks duration with an organization in Europe or Russia or an internship with a strong European or Russian component in an organization in the United States.
- A combination of an approved study abroad program that includes three weeks residence in Europe or Russia and three credits of coursework at any level in a European language other than English.
If you are interested in pursuing a European Studies minor, we encourage you to meet with one of the minor advisors:
Oksan Bayulgen, Political Science
William Berentsen, Geography
Ellen Litman, English
Michael Orwicz, Art and Art History
Sylvia Schafer, History
Friedemann Weidauer, Literatures, Cultures, and Languages
Monica van Beusekom, IISP (coordinator) / Appointments via AdvApp under Enrichment Programs
Forms and Documents
European Studies Minor – Required Attachment -Final plans of study are filed electronically through Student Admin. Please include this form as an attachment. Look for the “Attach” button on the Final Plan of Study Comments page near the Comments box.